1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please be sure you have read the advertisement rules! Violation of the rules in any advertising forums will result in a 2 week ban from the advertising forums. Continuous violations will result in being banned permanently from the advertising forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Are freelance websites driving down the price of webdesign services?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peaceful, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Peaceful

Peaceful Guest

I just saw a post on fiverr, a guy from Pakistan was offering to build you a professional looking website for as little as 5 bucks.
    I looked at his portfolio and it looked pretty good.
    There are many others like him on fiverr.

Amazing, for just 5 dollars. Aren't freelance sites just a good way to get cheaper labour and drive down prices?

2. garfish

garfish Guest

That is why is somewhat difficult to compete the online industry this time. I wonder how much time he spends on one graphic. If he can do 10 graphic art/banner/logo in a day then he get about $25. Its not so bad when you get more than 10 accomplished jobs.

3. Deathstarr

Deathstarr
    Administrator
    Staff Member Administrative Moderator Premium

Damn I cant imagine a 5$ full design, probably a template design tho

4. BlueBtl

BlueBtl Guest

I am a website developer, and these discount rate guys do indeed make it harder to earn a living. What the people who purchase these services don't understand is that everything else you want/need is an add-on, and you could potentially end up paying more than if you hired someone like me.

For $5 they are probably getting one webpage, maybe it is uploaded to their server - no text or graphics. Adding a logo and text will cost more, as well as uploading it to the server.

Sites like Wix, where you can design a site yourself also has an impact on my line of work, but these people usually end up coming to a freelancer and paying for a more usable site. They don't mind spending what it is worth, because they have already spent many hours unsuccessfully trying to get the site they want. :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Guest

I wouldn't be too worried about it. Most web sites these days are run off of Wordpress - which is much more involved to create a custom theme for. Anyone can knock out a single static web page template in a short amount of time, but to create a fully custom theme in Wordpress requires many more (billable) hours. I would be willing to bet in most of those cases, they are simply re-using some template they stole from another site or source, and passing it off as their own work.

6. djpoint2

djpoint2 Guest

Actually you get what you pay for, and hence one shouldn't be worried about competition from these freelance sites.
    A company which knows the value of its website and its power to drive sales won't hire such low paying designers to work on its project. It would need a team that the company can rely on for long term.

• Like Like x 2
  7. sidd230

sidd230 Guest

Yes!

Those people are getting undercut a lot. This is directly affecting the market. Being undercut is terrible.

8. LindaKay

LindaKay Guest

It's the same thing for the content writing industry and everything else. At least with writing, the quality isn't as good. I would say that the Web design from other countries is often very good and a lot cheaper than people here could afford to do it for.

9. This opens up a further topic of the low baller affecting the overall quality. Often times people won't pay more for quality and all they care about is the $ sign. So long as the low baller is actually putting out a good quality product, more power too them but if it's just a scam it really brings down the industry as whole.

It's like buying a toaster for 10 bucks that dies within a month. Sometimes you gotta splurge for the $20 toaster.

• Like Like x 2
  10. googoos0ng

googoos0ng Guest

Well, considering that 5$ may have a different value from country to country, i understand that offers like these kill the market. What's the important thing to understand is that a five dollar website is always a five dollar website, this means that quality is lower and it may be useful for people who require a low profile website. Following which are the offers i've requested for our company website, a good reliable website cost 2000 times more....a middle way would be very much appreciated ahahah

11. shanatron

shanatron Guest

This! You wouldn't want to get those clients anyone, that people don't value your work. You can actually make a lot of money working as a freelancer, but you need a good portfolio and connections. Go make a twitter account, seek clients, advertise with friends, etc.

12. SimplySidy

SimplySidy Guest

Unfortunately, I always seem to have bad experiences out on these freelance sites. When I bid, I dont win and when I buy out, I mostly get less then what was promised. Definitely, today is competitive world out there but the tragedy is that with so much of competition, the quality has fallen down. The world say around 8 years back was so good on these Freelance sites.

13. LindaKay

LindaKay Guest

I never try to get work on the bidding sites. You will ALWAYS get underbid there.

14. LindaKay

LindaKay Guest

I never try to get work on the bidding sites. You will ALWAYS get underbid there.

15. SeanM

SeanM Guest

Thats Capitalism for you and the prospects of a free market, labour and expertise get cheaper to eliminate the competition...

16. Shamde

Shamde Guest

I think it might make it more difficult to get into the business, but if you've been doing it for a while, your work should speak for its self. You just need a better portfolio than the $5 guy!

17. clearsky

clearsky Guest

There will always be clients who want a full-service website designer, copywriter or whatever, but many businesses, especially small ones, are seeing that they can get something that's "good enough" for such a low price (like $5 on Fiverr) that they don't see the need to spend any more. They usually get a barebones, stand-alone logo design, web page or whatever that might well be a copy with an extra little twist put on it, but if that's all they want then they're happy.

I do agree with the people who have said it's become harder for those of us who offer high-quality services (I do freelance copywriting, for example) when many clients only want to buy on price these days. I guess it just means we have to tra to stand out from the crowd even more now!

18. qaximor

qaximor Guest

Trust me that 5$ design would either be a rip off that he downloaded online or just a really really simple theme/design that he offers for people. Who would pay 5$ for a really REALLY professional website design..

19. Deathstarr

Deathstarr
    Administrator
    Staff Member Administrative Moderator Premium

You will never get a unique design for 5$, it's like unlimited host. This stuff doesnt exist heh. So I dont think it will drive the price of web designers down if you aim for something unique.

20. Agnesia

Agnesia Guest

As Julien said, if you are looking for average or bellow average than some services offered by people from India will do. Price is the reflection of quality. I suppose this little money is enough for them to have a decent life there. Web interface is very important so I believe that people who actually want to sell via internet seek professional services.