1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does GTA contribute to violence?

Discussion in 'The Debates' started by kingcool52, Oct 1, 2013.

1. kingcool52

kingcool52 New Member

One of the most debated topics, does Grand Theft Auto actually contribute to the rising numbers of Violent attack etc.? What do you think?

2. Electric Shock

Electric Shock New Member

I believe so, violent games are one of the main instigators of violence among youth. Why do you think the ratings are there for?

3. Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith New Member

That is BS. No matter what media it is and no matter how violent it is, a kid will do what they want. If something is blamed for it other than the kid or parents then it's just a scapegoat.

4. robertson123

robertson123 New Member

This has been an ongoing thing since violent video games got released kids in the past even teenagers have been known to copy the incidents that happen in the game.Another explanation they get ideas from the game believing they can do what happens in the game and they try it them selves

5. NecroWolf

NecroWolf New Member

It's been proven time and again that violent entertainment does not cause the person enjoying it to do violent things, that is unless they had a mental condition already. I say if they had a mental condition they probably would have done it eventually anyways. They've been trying to blame video games since Doom. And before that it was Ozzy music or some such crap. Unless you have a problem with telling reality from fantasy you should be fine.

Of course, very young children on the other hand do not need to be exposed to everything, that's not what I am saying at all. Young children have a tendency to act out what they see so in that kind of case, yeah it could be a problem. But around 12 or so and up, they should know better.

6. wasi90lk

wasi90lk New Member

GTA games may contribute to violence, but that does not mean we should stop playing it.

A lot of things contribute to violence, why single out GTA?

7. lorcan

lorcan New Member

I personally am not to sure about this issue. I disagree with parents letting younger kids playing as it is not appropriate at all for some young ages. I guess people who have mental issues, do not react well to this kind of game and this leads to bad things happening, as they percieve the game is okay, and that it is okay for them to do the same acts.

8. Drago

Drago New Member

No, nor does any other violent game. I've played violent games all my life, and I've been issues with people and times where I was completely mad. Did I do something stupid? No. Did I take guns and go shoot up a school saying video games led me to do it? No. People who blame videos blame them because they want something to blame. They have to have something to blame. Video games have NEVER been the cause of violence, nor will they be. The people who do things like this and claim it was because video games are mentally ill, and anyone who can't see that is just blinded by their hatred for video games.

9. MeshCollider

MeshCollider New Member

I think it can go both ways....gta encourages violence as "fun" but it also keeps the idiots inside instead of outside actually being violent.

10. Deathstarr

Deathstarr
    Administrator
    Staff Member Administrative Moderator Premium

I don't think it does. It is just a game, and violent people are going to be violent anyway. MeshCollider is right, at least it keeps them inside rather than outside in the world.

11. BOSS

BOSS New Member

Parts of it though it's a over 18 game clearly.

12. Amber

Amber New Member

I'm sure that like any violent video game, it can contribute to violence. Sometimes it is hard for certain people to figure out the difference between reality and a video game.

13. SamJa

SamJa New Member

I don't think GTA would be in the violent games sector, I mean, there are much worse games like mortal combat or similar, and kids do play them. I don't think they will get more violent because they play them, they just need to realize that those really are games and to distinct that from reality.