1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How make a simple website with notepad

Discussion in 'Programming & Coding' started by ahsan16, Feb 12, 2007.

1. ahsan16

ahsan16 New Member

Use the following code to make a simple webpage with notepad.

<HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE></TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

Example :

<HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE>Welcome to the website of Ahsan Mahmud</TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY>
    Welcome to my website. You can find various things in here.
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

You can use various code to make them more compact and for a real example go to www.ahsanmahmud.com

2. Qoelet

Qoelet Guest

This is a good framework, thanks.

How would you set the font selections for the page? Would that be defined by HTML or CSS?

3. Deathstarr

Deathstarr
    Administrator
    Staff Member Administrative Moderator Premium

If it's a simple page, you can inclue CSS in the page itself. When your page grows it's better to have an external CSS.

4. This page is very simple. There are many tutorials and templates online which will direct you to higher quality html codes. There are thousands of free examples online and I suggest you take a look. CSS is different from html and you will need a different page or new code to implement it.

5. Qoelet

Qoelet Guest

How does CSS work as a 'external' then? Like a second 'layer' to an existing HTML page with additional instructions?

6. You need to create all the CSS in an external file with extension .css for example style.css and then link it with the html in the header of the html document using the link rel tag.

7. Deathstarr

Deathstarr
    Administrator
    Staff Member Administrative Moderator Premium

Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="/link/to/style.css" />
    This is how you load an external css file.

8. SimplySidy

SimplySidy Guest

The biggest caution when using Notepad to create HTML files (or any other ASCII files with a non TXT extension) - is that you must use the complete filename with the extension in double quotes when saving for first time. So DONT forget to save this file by typing out "test.htm" or "test.html" (including the double quotes to save it as a web page. Otherwise you might end up in having a "test.txt" file.

Note: This is just one way, there are other ways too.

9. diprod

diprod Guest

Okay I really wish I know how to code or grab them and modify. I think it's now the latest language we have in the human race. Thanks for posting this! I didn't even know you can do this from the notepad!

10. shanatron

shanatron Guest

You should try doing some tutorials online, this is extremely simple. Give a try to some frameworks like bootstrap and you'll have a better site with responsive design.

11. Qoelet

Qoelet Guest

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Can you only have one CSS file per HTML page? Or wouldn't you need more than one CSS file anyway (one would suffice for the styling you'd need)?

12. shanatron

shanatron Guest

Yes, you only need one CSS file. Some people like to have 2 css depending on the device the website is shown. For example, you would like to have a different design for mobile devices because of the smaller screen size.

13. Chaotix

Chaotix Guest

Personally, I would ditch using something like plain old Notepad, and instead at least use something like Programmer's Notepad. It not only has the simplicity of regular Notepad, but it auto-parses your coding as well as color-codes it. Oh yeah, and it's free!

• Like Like x 2
  14. averus

averus Guest

Agreed.
    I use Notepad++ (it's free too), and it's great. I use the Windows Notepad just for creating remainder txt files (so notes, right?) 'cos I can't get used to stickynotes.
    I can't imagine using it for HTML o_O

15. Delusional

Delusional Guest

I like to have some kind of highlighting. It's not that I need it but it makes everything a lot more structured. It also helps if an editor keeps track of opening and closing tags.
    Anyway, thanks for the basic site. Something like this could be used as a first placeholder when you create a new domain.

16. Also as a good practice, you should segregate your files into sub-folders accordingly. I normally have it like this:

- the Root folder to store the index and other HTML files
    ----- "common" folder
    -------- "img_nav" folder
    -------- "img_content" folder
    -------- "scripts" folder
    -------- "styles" folder
    ----- "downloads" folder for downloadable files

• Like Like x 2
  17. averus

averus Guest

I agree with @tinybutnotfangless
    It'll teach you to work with paths and keep the folder tidy :)

18. Jamie75

Jamie75 New Member

I like dividing html and css in two separate files, that is what I learned in college. Also, I suggest you use notepad++ , it has languages implemented and it is easier to work with since it gives suggestions!