1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Legal limit to number of children in a family

Discussion in 'The Debates' started by Electric Shock, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Electric Shock

Electric Shock New Member

If you catch statistics, India has by far the largest growing population and speculation says it will beat China in a few.

Resource management has been mediocre at best and unequal resource diving between the large population seems like giving rise to more problems, and in a worst case scenario, Civil War. Nobody wants that.

I think that maybe implementing a few legislations regarding children a family can have might reduce the rate of population growth? I might sound irrational, but that's what my mind says.

Oh, and blame Mass Effect for speaking about it in the first guddam place.

2. Joker

Joker New Member

I honestly think yeah it might work but it also has a lot of side effects. A large group of people will leave the country to go other places like the USA. I also personally don't like the fact that others are saying if I can have a child or how many. I want it to be my choice. Last note is look at the rate of males to females when china used the same law!! The male population is more than 50% I believe.

3. Deathstarr

Deathstarr
    Administrator
    Staff Member Administrative Moderator Premium

I consider myself a population control advocate, but first I am a Libertarian. I don't think it should be a government policy enforcing this, but there should be efforts made to reduce the number of births not just in India or China, but everywhere on earth. The only time the government should get involved is when they dole out welfare and family subsidies. I think if your income comes from the government, then you shouldn't be allowed to have any children, because you're not able to support yourself, let alone additional human beings. There should also be some limits when families start having 10 or more kids, those families are just too big I think. The biggest issue though is what can the family actually support?

I've actually donate to 'population control' charities in the past that work to educate potential parents and distribute birth control. The biggest issue though is these are always temporary solutions, and they just delay the problem.

4. Electric Shock

Electric Shock New Member

I appreciate your thoughts Guardian.

Though the way I look at your thoughts, implementing that same idea wouldn't bring any immediate results.

- Most of the overpopulation is concentrated in rural areas, where the people are still living the old ways.
    - With the amount of insubordinance and irresponsibility of a good percentage of social workers in India, that seems doomed to fail.
    - Patriarchial families would most probably not agree to birth control.

5. Deathstarr

Deathstarr
    Administrator
    Staff Member Administrative Moderator Premium

True, nothing would be immediate except sterilizations, imprisonment, and execution. That's not an option in modern society. At least not where a dictator doesn't rule.

Enforcement would be the biggest problem here. From those that don't support it or just look the other way for all sorts of reasons. Either way, the world's population does need to be leveled out. We're going to become unsustainable eventually and then there will be unneeded death in wars over water and food.

6. Danielle

Danielle New Member

I agree that it might work, but the only problem that I think would be bad is that there would be a lot of people who would not agree with it.