1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please be sure you have read the advertisement rules! Violation of the rules in any advertising forums will result in a 2 week ban from the advertising forums. Continuous violations will result in being banned permanently from the advertising forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Network Solutions Shady Re-Billing Practices

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by OhioTom76, Jan 16, 2014.

1. OhioTom76

OhioTom76 Guest

For those of you using Network Solutions to register your domain names, I wanted to bring to your attention their renewal practices - so they don't screw you over too.

If you read the fine print, they will attempt to re-bill you and auto renew your domains as far as *three months* before their expiration date. They don't give you a specific date either, it can happen at "any time" during that three month window. It used to be registrars would try a month in advance, to process the renewal before you log in to cancel it - thinking you still have time left to cancel, only to find out it's already been renewed. Then they started doing this crap two months prior to expiration, now three. It's ridiculous, and it won't surprise me if they move to four months either.

Please keep this in mind and make sure you don't leave an old card or billing account on file with them - because they will keep hitting that account repeatedly until they get the funds. If it's an old debit card that you haven't used in a while and don't have the adequate funds in it yet, this can result in a string of fines and fees very quickly - and there is nothing they will do to stop it.

Or better yet, turn off Auto Renew - which in the case of Network Solutions, they make it a pain in the butt - you have to call in, sit on hold, and speak to an agent to do it. You can't do it yourself online.

It's even worse if you payed them with PayPal, because PayPal will sometimes reject the sale, and other times process the sale - then keep dinging your accounts for the funds causing the same problem. There is no rhyme or reason why PayPal will reject it one time, then process it the next.

They will also delay moving your domain over to another registrar by at least two weeks, so be prepared for that as well.

2. Deathstarr

Deathstarr
    Administrator
    Staff Member Administrative Moderator Premium

Damn, we are only using Enom. Didnt know Network solutions was that bad!

3. BlueBtl

BlueBtl Guest

I was burned by this last year. :( I had registered a domain, then later decided not to move forward with that idea. Network Solutions started sending me renewal notices, but I ignored them since I had no intention of renewing the domain. Then an email from PayPal arrived stating that I had renewed the domain. I was shocked! Fortunately, it was for just one year. I have removed the auto-renew "feature" so this won't happen again.

I was fortunate - it was one single domain and just a 1 year renewal. Anyone with multiple domains that were purchased for 5 or 10 year terms could suddenly be out a LOT of money.

4. clearsky

clearsky Guest

Hmm, that's shady indeed! I use Namecheap and have been very happy with them. They send me renewal notices and let me decide if and when I want to renew my domains with them, right up to the last day. I've never had them rebill me, or pressure me in any way. They're not always the cheapest, but you can get some money off with their monthly coupon codes. And I like the free Whois protection you get for the first year - nice feature!

5. SeanM

SeanM Guest

Yeah Network Solutions are a huge source of butt hurt in my experience as well...

6. I'm a bit surprised that people still use Network Solutions. They're such an old and outdated company in terms of the way they do business. Plus, they have had some of the worst cases of security and unethical business practices ever made. I was a customer for a couple of years in the late 1990's. After that, never again.