1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Novice programmer, where to start?

Discussion in 'Programming & Coding' started by Dlp92, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Dlp92

Dlp92 Guest

Hi,

I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to programming - I am reasonably experienced in MATLAB and am starting to venture into shell scripting in Bash. I'm looking at developing skills in languages like Python and C++ ; does anyone have any recommendations on where to go about doing this? Possibly online resources?
    Many Thanks!

2. LaurenGrey

LaurenGrey Guest

Hello,
    Like yourself I have just started getting into exploring the vastness of coding and programming via online resources.
    The site that I have the most experience using is:
    www.Codecademy.com
    It gives a introduction to a couple different aspects of coding such as the basics of web fundamentals with HTMl, as well as jQuery, Python, Ruby and more. I really liked the site because it was simple to start learning and had a lot of good resources to help one get comfortable using the programs. From building a new website to adding some of the more interactive elements, it went through it all.

Good luck

3. Dlp92

Dlp92 Guest

Hi Lauren, thanks for your reply.

I've been experimenting with the Python and Ruby courses on CodeAcademy, it is indeed a fantastic resource. Do you know of any similar websites, preferably low cost or free?

4. LaurenGrey

LaurenGrey Guest

Hey,
    You are most welcome. I was reading a some things the other day, and someone was nice enough to include in a list of a couple more places that you can check out for free or reasonably priced online resources. I haven't had a chance to try any more of the out as I have been quite busy, but I think they give a wide range of different learning options.
    www.codeschool.com
    www.codeavengers.com
    www.learnstreet.com
    www.teamtreehouse.com

I think the last one you is a paid resource, but I'm pretty sure that it has a free trial stage where you can decide whether you want to get more into the program if it works for you.
    I wish you much luck, and I would be interested to hear back on your opinions on some of the different sites.

5. Dlp92

Dlp92 Guest

Thank you very much, I will check those websites out and let you know! One other resource I have come across is a free online course taught by Harvard on 'An Introduction to Computer Science'. If you complete the assignments, you get a certificate at the end. All the resources are available if you register, regardless of whether you intend to finish the course.

6. LaurenGrey

LaurenGrey Guest

Hey,
    Thanks! I will definitely check that out, it will be good to see what the top universities are offering in terms of content.

7. Delusional

Delusional Guest

I learned the basis in school. This was only Java. After that, I learned HTML/CSS/JS myself. I also learned every language available on Code Academy and I also learned C/C++ at my university.

8. haynes11

haynes11 Guest

I can definetley support CodeAcademy! Every other website just got me confused after the basics if I'm honest, it would jump from fairly basic stuff to intermediate stuff with no real middleground inbetween, leaving me like "Woah I don't get this" CodeAcademy kind of simplifies it, and let's you try everything out yourself, so you understand everything as you actually do it. It makes you learn so much faster.