1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should civilians be allowed guns?

Discussion in 'The Debates' started by Wonderkid, May 31, 2011.

1. Wonderkid

Wonderkid New Member

I see it as a human right to be able to protect yourself and your family at any cost. With the current day blackmarket its just too easy for criminals to get a hold of a gun in the UK it's ridiculous. They were banned here in the first place to stop criminals from owning them but that sure as shit didn't work.

Most of the current gun crime in England is armed robbery. Most of the deaths caused by guns are against innocent unarmed civilians who did not have the power to defend themselves.

It seems logical to start giving our right to own firearms slowly...what do you guys think? :)

2. RTECH

RTECH New Member

I am unsure about this as it can go both ways. Most people will use guns to protect themselves in certain situations but others will use it for harm. There will also be lawsuits and complaints if the gun is fired unnecessarily or someone is accidentally hurt.

3. lhurt1

lhurt1 New Member

Well I live in the US, and that is a huge debate here. I am a former member of our military and i see nothing wrong with civilians owning a gun as long as they have taken the proper classes and have the proper paperwork for it. It is one of our rights as an American citizen to bear arms, and it was one of the things that helped us defeat you British types in the Revolution! (HeHe) I know if our great country was invaded, our armies would take a while to get back home, so it would fall on our Militia and police to defend. If you are not familiar with our Militia, it is basically American citizens heavily armed.

4. dan213

dan213 New Member

I didn't vote because I'm in the middle. There will always be one person that cannot be trusted but in terms of security I suppose that they may be needed? Such as criminals breaking in etc then using a gun to defend yourself but I'm not sure. I'm in the middle of this one, they can get abused easily by anyone.

5. Bazinga!

Bazinga! New Member

I agree with you. I think citizens should have the right to have guns provided they are not criminals and they take the time to use them properly.

I reside in the United States and there are a lot of citizens that are gun owners here where I live. It doesn't bother me that people are allowed to own guns because I'd rather that the law abiding citizens have them than the criminals. I do not believe in banning guns here in the U.S. because I think that would just punish the citizens who don't break the law and don't harm anybody.

There's a saying that if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.

6. Jadster

Jadster New Member

Actually, in the constitution of America, it specifically states that every American citizen has the right to "bare arms" which means we have the right to own a gun. I believe that it should be allowed but the only issue is people misusing the weapons are the ones who really pose a threat. Those people shouldn't be allowed to have a gun but we can't deny them their rights to be honest.

7. djshevvld

djshevvld New Member

Yes they should. Once governments fall apart and the currency system breaks into shambles it will be every man for themselves. Also guns dont kill people, people do. To claim that people get killed simply because of gun ownership is simply short sighted.

8. wasi90lk

wasi90lk New Member

I think civilians should have guns.

Even if you ban guns, criminals will always find a way to get guns. Why take away guns from civilians?

9. NecroWolf

NecroWolf New Member

The reason our Constitution is set up like this is to keep the government in check. Once you disarm the population the government can do whatever they want. Whose going to stop them if they are the only ones with guns? England was trying to do the same thing to the colonists and of course we know how that turned out.

10. Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith New Member

I suggest you read the constitution a little closer. As it states those in a organized militia may bare arms. Somehow that key part is often over looked.

Anyways I have no problem with people owning a hand gun or shot gun, but there is no reason on this entire planet that they need to own army strength guns.

11. NecroWolf

NecroWolf New Member

I actually did look it up and the majority opinion on the wording of the original does not limit it to only organized militia. Of course, that's majority; there is a minority that says it does. So it's actually not clear cut.

12. Demon_skeith

Demon_skeith New Member

Anyways, in the future I think we need to worry more about guns being gotten from the black market then those gotten legally.

13. lorcan

lorcan New Member

No, they should not have guns at all, Here in Ireland, the police do not carry weapons, because the citizens do not have a large access to guns, and only the special police have weapons to deal with situation where citzens might have guns. This works quite well and it shows that citizens do not need to have weapons, as it only creates further problems, and leads to higher crime levels.

14. Drago

Drago New Member

No. These days, there are too many people with mental illnesses, too many people with anger issues, and too many incompetent people. Yes, there are laws against selling guns to the mentally ill, but c'mon, that doesn't stop it from happening. I guarantee you if people didn't own guns, the amount of idiotic shootings and violence would go down drastically.

The problem is that people are cry babies. "Waaaa, I don't want my right taken away even if it stops people from dying!" The majority of people who own a gun never use them,! So why own something you won't use? Exactly, because you feel it's a right.

15. NecroWolf

NecroWolf New Member

Taking guns from legal gun owners won't stop anyone from dying, in fact just the opposite since all gun crimes seem to be illegal guns anyways, and in gun free zones at that. I mean seriously, we should make legal law abiding citizens pay for what the criminals do? Does that seem fair?

16. Electric Shock

Electric Shock New Member

Somehow trigger-happy civilians don't seem the best way to go for me.