1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The journey of a programmer

Discussion in 'Programming & Coding' started by Aditya Kulkarni, Jan 17, 2014.

1. I know there must be at least one fine day in your life when you have tried your hand on programming.
    Some people found it good, and some didn't!

There are some people following it as their dream or passion and some are still struggling to get the things sorted.
    So, starting from a complete beginner, where should a programmer should see himself/herself over the course of next 5 years?

I know this discussion will be interesting!

2. shanatron

shanatron Guest

5 years is plenty of time to become a proficient programmer. I would start programming for the web. The learning curve is a little difficult at the start, but there are no limits to what you can do. Also, your sites or webapps can run everywhere where there's a web browser!

3. qaximor

qaximor Guest

I think within 2 years of intensive studying and reading about programming and of course practice can make you a good programmer with a lot of knowledge. Hell there are kids that are really famous now that started programming since they are 10 years old and one of these kids made some iPhone apps and now he travels the world telling his story!

4. Brad

Brad Guest

I think if you study hard and work hard on becoming a real programmer then I believe you should imagine yourself working for a big company, but you would need to be pretty amazing to get a job for a huge company like Microsoft as they have some developers who have been in the industry for over 20 years.

5. BlueBtl

BlueBtl Guest

In 5 years you would have some pretty mad programming skillz! :p

Pick a language, and learn something every day. Stick with it and you will see results. It helped me to have an end goal. There was a searchable database project I wanted to implement, so when I Started learning php/mysql I knew what I wanted to eventually be able to do so that is what drove me. That was about 10 years ago. I still learn new things every day.

6. Stefan

Stefan Guest

This is funny because it's actually been 5 years since I first made a "Hello world!" program. I was in 8th grade and I was fascinated at the awesomeness of what I just did. Now I am studying computer science and am involved in lots of programming projects (some of my own).
    As a conclusion, in 5 years, you will be doing what you like : programming.

7. Delusional

Delusional Guest

5 years is enough to become a decent programmer if you get the opportunities to work with others who can tell you things you didn't know.
    Try to follow the trends as to what languages to learn. I think I overdid it and tried to learn all the relevant languages instead of focusing on one and becoming the best in one language.