1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Please be sure you have read the advertisement rules! Violation of the rules in any advertising forums will result in a 2 week ban from the advertising forums. Continuous violations will result in being banned permanently from the advertising forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Where do I start?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Peninha, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Peninha

Peninha Guest

I am a total newbie in this Web master and Web hosting scene so I would appreciate any hints I could get. I have plenty of ideas to create a site, but I lack programming skills and other knowledge. For example, I'd love to make a forum where I could discuss tennis, my favorite sport. How could I do this, what steps should I take?

2. sidd230

sidd230 Guest

Well, you would need to buy a domain and get a web host for starters. Make sure your web host has PHP support.
    Then you can use a Forum program like vBulletin to get your forum running. You will need designers for logos and stuff. You can use the forum templates too.

3. SimplySidy

SimplySidy Guest

Well, as always there are two ways of doing things. One - You learn and d everything on your own - kind of DIY - time consuming and also hectic. The other way is to hire a professional who can help you setup the stuff that you need and also guide you through the other issues - kind of a Website Consultant. Agreed that the second way, you would still have to depend on others and maybe an expensive affair to start with, but at the end of the day, you would have enough time to learn to manage things - which I guess, as an entrepreneur, you would like to.

4. Peninha

Peninha Guest

Thanks for answers guys! Sorry my basic questions, but how do I buy a domain? Once I do that I have a web host?

@SimplySidy, I'd never hire anyone, I just can't afford it, I will need to learn on my own or else I would never profit from my ideas, they are not that great!

5. Deathstarr

Deathstarr
    Administrator
    Staff Member Administrative Moderator Premium

@PoSnt$$ do you work for them or what? Sorry this post looks weird lol

• Like Like x 2
  6. sidd230

sidd230 Guest

Hail Corporate!
    Yeah, he sounds too much like a shill really. Great PR technique. Not.

7. BlueBtl

BlueBtl Guest

Peninha, as others have said, you will need a domain name, web hosting, and forum software. Most webhosts offer the ability to register a domain, so that is the easy part. (The hard part if thinking of a domain to use.)

When seeking out a webhost, look for one that has a one-click software installer. They will most likely have WordPress and Joomla, but many also have forum software. So, sign up with a webhost, register a domain name, and install the forum software and you're done!

8. shanatron

shanatron Guest

If you are more interested in making than learning, I would suggest just setting up a wordpress site, there are some forum plugins to make it simpler. You'll have a great forum in no time.

9. her

her Guest

A lot of times companies will run specials, but you just want to make sure that they have a good reputation for hosting so that you'll get results.

Also, there are programs that will let you design a logo for free if you want a logo for your forum or blog.

I do a lot of research, but like you I'm lost when it comes to a lot of things as far as Web hosting and that type of thing so I rely on forums like this where I can get opinions about the best hosting sites and other things related to running my own site or forum.

10. Brad

Brad Guest

Firstly, do you plan to create a blog or a proper website?

11. Kellykr09

Kellykr09 Guest

Do some research. There are options everywhere for every step of the way. The same options don't fit everyone. Look up reviews and make sure that you get what you need.

12. SeanM

SeanM Guest

Or you can just use the Lazy man's route and pay your way... Just a thought...

13. BlueBtl

BlueBtl Guest

The OP said they wanted to set up a forum site.

Hey OP - I just checked and GoDaddy has a one click install for phpBB forums.

14. SimplySidy

SimplySidy Guest

Well, hiring does not always mean and imply a payout right away. It can also mean a long term partnership to go ahead. I remember, I had this client who initially had no amount to pay, but promised me a partnership as he was not technically much aware. We did the site, up and running, marketed it and when it started gaining profitability, the promises were kept and even today, after 5 years, I am associated with his website and we are good friends.

So, it has to be the deal, the good faith and trust which works for me. Am unsure about others though.

15. xwolfiex13x

xwolfiex13x Guest

All this information is really great. I've been getting interested in the idea but I do not know where to start either. Thank you all for the advice!

16. oxpaulo

oxpaulo Guest

Like many have said already vbulletin is the way to go that's what most of the big boys use anyway. But yeah start with a blog and piggyback off that when you get a following then start the forum and use your blog for promotion of it.

17. elidbugg

elidbugg Guest

The first thing you are going to need is a domain name. A domain name that is unique will be very important. Then about designing the website there are user friendly programs that you can use yourself or hire programming expert to do the job for you. I hope this information helps you.

18. Peninha

Peninha Guest

lol indeed it a great propaganda, 15% off plus a coupon code and I have already won my day! :D

@BlueBtl thanks for the tips, I see it's a lot information to absorb, probably I'll need to take on some course or download some instruction manuals before I manage to go any further.

@SimplySidy I am pretty impressed with that partnership you made, I think not many people would be willing to do that.

19. averus

averus Guest

I recommend w3 schools. They have great tutorials for starters in web-design (html, php etc.)
    Always stay up-to-date and try to think of interesting ideas for web-sites.

I believe it would be best if you find some free templates and learn coding from them. Play around, change colors and find out what you can and cannot do. If you really wish to become a good web-designer, the only thing that matters is not to stop! :)

Good luck! ;)

• Like Like x 2
  20. Agnesia

Agnesia Guest

If you have no glue about PHP or CSS I can recommend you webs.com. Is a platform that helps you to build your website for free, has a free hosting but you can also buy a domain. It is very easy to use and have a help section if need it.